Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hero Arts Challenge - Flowers and St Patrick's Day

My entry for this month's Hero Arts Challenge - Flowers and St Patrick's Day.  Closing date is this Thursday 25th Feb - full details are here.

I used the Flower Wallpaper Large Background stamp by Hero Arts to make the base.  I stamped with peeled paint distress ink on to watercolour paper.  I tried this a number of ways (1) misting the stamp with water when it was inked up, (2) misting the paper after stamping but decided I liked plain old fashioned straight stamping! for this card.
I then cut out a shamrock template from some of my watercolour paper scraps and stamped the Flower Wallpaper stamp with versamark clear ink.  I then used clear embossing powder, heated it and used my sponge applicator to apply the same distress ink - peeled paint on top of the embossing image.

I added Hero Arts smooth gemstones to the background flower centres (I think these look like little baby shamrocks - as shamrocks have three leaves/petals too). 

The term "shamrock" derives from the Irish word seamrog which translates as "little clover".  What's the difference?  Shamrock is smaller - they are both species of trefoil (genus Trifolium, from the Latin meaning - "having three leaves").
Supplies: Hero Arts Flower Wallpaper Large Background Cling, Fimo button by Jane, 
shamrock template found online, watercolour paper, Tim Holtz distressing tool, Distress Ink - peeled paint, clear embossing powder, Check ribbon by Gisela Graham, ric rac ribbon by Papermania,
Hero Arts smooth gemstones, pop dots and embroidery floss. 

I left the front of the card sentiment free but added this to the inside - an old Irish saying.  Just the perfect match to the shamrock on the front.
Thank you so much for stopping by.  Grey and wet here today... so the photos aren't as bright as I would like. 

13 comments:

Monika Lerch said...

Das sieht ja so Klasse aus . Bin total begeistert.
Ganz nach meinem Geschmack ! Toll!


GLg Moni

Agata said...

It's so great! I didn't know this old Irish saying so I've learnt something today! :) Beautiful card!

Tracey said...

LOVE your card and the sentiment is PERFECT!!! THANKS for ALL your sweet comments :) Hugs, TRace

CinnamonSally said...

Great card Deirdre and love the sentiment you have added.

donna mikasa said...

Very pretty, Deirdre! Perfect shades of green! And thanks for the botanical lesson....

Dawn T said...

super cute Deirdre. Lovely card and the background does look like little shamrocks.

Alice said...

super card!! simple and effective! love it Deirdre!!

Paula said...

STUNNING ...what more can I say!?

Paula xx

Tiffany Ervin said...

Scrumptous, love that look you've created, what a happy lucky charm card!

DustyPenny (Joy Ott) said...

Pretty card, Deirdre!

Lin said...

Love your design, Deirdre!

Di's Dooodles said...

Perfect Deirdre, I love it & I love the sentiment too!! :-)

stampingandstitching said...

This is such a great St Patrick's Day card Deirdre! Wonderful design and love the sentiment.

Heather Maria

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips